Friday, February 25, 2011

Fabulous Friend Friday

Oh, am I excited to share today's friend!!!!
She has written a tutorial for you today on how to make
 baby/little girl leg warmers.
So, let's get right to it!!!

Today's friend is ....

Shelley C.
Shelley is a terrific wife, mom, nurse, friend to everyone, photographer, scrapbooker, and so much more!!! I am thrilled and so excited she is sharing today!!! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!!!

Shelley is going to be my guest blogger today so without further ado here's Shelley.....


These are adorable and they only take about 10 minutes to make.  For real!  I love an instant-satisfaction sewing project and that is exactly what these are!  First let me say that this is not my original idea.  But all the best ideas are copied, right?!

So run out and get you a pair of fun knee-high socks.  I used women’s because I have three girls.  But you can find some cute argyle socks that would be great for a baby boy too. By the way, these leg warmers fit all three of my girls.   One is 6 years old, one is almost 4 and one is 2 months!  So, they are very versatile!  I bought these socks at Target for $2.  Such a bargain.


 
First of all, cut off the toes and cut off the heels.  You can throw those toes and heels away…I can’t think of anything I could use them for.


Next take what remains of the foot part and fold it inside of itself, so that the wrong sides are facing each other. This ends up being the bottom cuff of the leg warmer. 


Then tuck the leg part of the sock inside the folded tube part of the sock, lining up all of the cut edges.



Next, if you want (and you’re a perfectionist like that) you can pin the layers together (I don’t!).  Then,  stitch together the three layers all the way around near the cut edges (you don’t sew all six layers or else you would sew the sock shut).  



I’m not really a seamstress, but I do know how to sew a straight line!  And luckily, that’s the only skill required for this project.  I don’t know what settings you should actually have on your sewing machine, but this is what I did and it works for me.  I have read that a serger would be really nice to do around the edge to keep it from fraying but I have no such machine!




You’re done!  So, turn the cuff down the right way and go put them on a cute little baby or stylish toddler or spunky big girl.  So fast and easy!


THANK YOU Shelley for sharing with us today!!!! What a WONDERFUL tutorial!!! I hope each of you were totally inspired to go make your own leg warmers! Have fun and let me hear how yours turned out!!! I love to hear your comments!

Have a great weekend!!

~ Katy

2 comments:

Nicole said...

So cute! I even think I could do this.. I am going to try!

Randi said...

Ok, so I LOVE that! Awesome description and pictures! So much fun!

Post a Comment